2.11.2010

Ambition, Meet ADHD

Nearly two years ago, I visited Key West with my husband and brother. I instantly fell in love. (Quite possibly, I was so happy to be anywhere but inside of our rented Prius after a 24-hour drive from Maryland that I would have become instantly smitten with any final destination.)

Something about the gypsy chickens that inhabit the island, or the fresh Grouper sandwiches, or the explosive sunsets just moved me.

But nothing touched me so much as visiting the Ernest Hemingway house. I went on a hot day while the boys jet skied off the western shore of the island. At first I was completely indignant about my solitude. How could they not want to see the five-toed cats, or the infamous chandeliers? But alone I found I could enjoy it more, and I left Hemingway's house with a memory card full of photos (mostly of the cats), a photo of Papa's study and a sense of inspiration.

Months later, when we bought our first house, I decided to design my home office around the photo of Hemingway's study. As I chose wall colors and my black sawhorse desk, I thought about all of the writing I would do in this inspired room.

Over a year later, the most writing I have done in here has been to address envelopes for Christmas cards.

Lame.

Then Snowmageddon 2010 hit Maryland, which was followed very quickly by Snowpocalypse, and then several days later by Snoverkill. (I sh*t you not, these terms have all been used by the local media.)



As I now go on one solid week of snow leave from the University of Maryland, I realize that I have the time to use this office. To be inspired as I was in Key West. To start my book.

The other thing I have is ADHD. Honest-to-God-diagnosed-but-unmedicated ADHD.

What I DON'T have is a clue as to what my book will be about. But I'm going to start it tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment